Saturday, September 10, 2011

NEPAL & NEPALI PROUD OF YOU

'As a democrat I want to voice the voiceless '
Darshan Rauniyar, a Nepali-American is vying for the Congress in Washington’s first Congressional district this year.  An MBA from Portland State University, Rauniyar has established himself as a successful businessman and social activists for the past 22 years. Born in Kathmandu, Nepal he has held various senior-level positions in technology companies, have been a successful entrepreneur and businessman. He has been active in the politics for over a decade, and has campaigned for many local, state and federal candidates.
He is an elected Democratic Precinct Committee Officer, and was served on the Executive Committees of both the 1st Legislative District Democrats Executive Committee and the Snohomish County Democratic Executive Committee. He is a member of the Snohomish County Human Rights Commission and the Snohomish County Parks Advisory Board. He has served as a Board member for numerous non-profit organizations. Purushottam Dhakal of Nepal24hours.com took an online interview with Rauniyar, focusing on his future plans and driving principles behind his Congressional candidacy.

Pursuhottam Dhakal (PD):  You have come a long way. Tell us about your early days in the US.

Darshan Rauniyar (DR) : 
I came to America in 1988 as a student to study Electronics Engineering. The journey took place from Kathmandu to Klamath Falls, Oregon. The day I landed, I entered a totally different society, people and language. The experience of moving from Nepal to the richest country was something I never imagined. I was in awe, and for a while I dealt with culture shock. But the American people embraced me, and I became part of the society quickly. The generosity they showed as caring and loving people, I would never forget. I was a student, and like many other students, working and studying is all I had time to do. 


I came to a very small town and that made me to focus on my studies. Seeing the College, classrooms, the whole campus was something I never imagined and the vast curriculum to choose from. The student’s ability to choose on their own and make their schedules is something of a first experience. But I choose to stick with my required and suggested classes; hence I was able to complete the Bachelor’s program in time. Money was tight and every penny was spent wisely. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel that if I work hard with determination that I can live a good life.

PD: What encouraged you to not only stay back here but also join politics? 

DR:
 I wanted to taste the American dream, by working hard and seeing if it would pay off. I wanted to know how it feels working for an American company and gain real world experiences. My perseverance made me put my education to work. My subsequent success in business was a testament of my educational achievements. This was my first time I would ever made any money working…

PD: How do you feel in politics here? 

DR: Politics can have immense influence in people’s life. I’ve watched American politics for a while now, and have seen the change, good and bad, that can come from the political process. The American political process is fair, and I believe everyone has the chance to be represented and be part of the debate and have their voice heard.

PD: You have joined the Democratic party. What is Democratic party like? What is the difference between Democrats and Republicans? 

DR: The Democratic Party is the party of the working people. It stands up for those who don’t have the money or a voice to be heard. There are many different types of Democrats, and I enjoy meeting and talking with them. We have great debates and we all express our opinions openly.

PD: You are now contesting for US Congress. How do you feel? 

DR: I am extremely happy, having finally made this important decision. This is something I wanted to do for a while now to run for an office in US. I needed some time, and I consulted with my family because I have working wife and two growing kids. It feels great to have so many wonderful people supporting my candidacy. This is already a great achievement for me to be able to run in this great country and I look forward to listening to voters and truly represent them. I feel that we need a leader who cares about this country and its people; time has come to do just that.

PD: What is the secret of US economic miracle over centuries? 

DR: I would say the most important are the American values of freedom and democracy, which have helped make the U.S. the land of opportunity, where people are free to pursue life, liberty and happiness. America’s open society has led to innovation, which has been the foundation for America’s economy. America has started as an agricultural society, and has successfully adapted to the industrial age, and now the communications economy.

This was all able to happen because of the open environment we were given by our Founding Fathers. Any American has the chance to work hard and be successful, and that environment has helped the United States of America become the largest economy in the world. Everyone can pursue their dreams and by working with determination, they can be successful.

PD: You are an immigrant. Can you comment on how fast or slow immigrants have integrated in US society? 
DR: When I came to this country, I feel it was easier for immigrants to integrate into the American culture and society. Recently immigration has become a more controversial issue, and I think many immigrants are feeling less secure. The government must do a better job reaching out to new immigrants and letting them know that they are wanted and can stay. We should never forget that this country is a melting pot and we were all were immigrants at some point and made this a great nation in the world.

PD: Can you comment on Americans of Nepalese origins? What are their problems and what opportunities await them?


DR: Nepalese community is growing due to current situation in Nepal. They all are hardworking people and look for opportunity to grow. Most of them come here for either education, or work, or to be with their families - to have a better life like I’ve have. A lot of them come to have a better future for their kids. In general, I see immigration and help in finding job as their biggest challenges. Once here, if they are willing to work hard, they will be given the opportunity to succeed. Opportunity awaits for anyone who is willing to work hard and have determination to make it happen.

PD: How do you analyze the upcoming elections in 2012? How do you rate Obama's chances of reelection? 

DR: I think my race will be crowded, as it is an open seat. There will be pressure to raise a lot of money to run the campaign. We are also going through redistricting, which happens every 10 years and Washington state will add one more congressional seat, so we will have 10 Congressional districts with 10 representatives to the House of Representatives in Washington DC. I am waiting to hear about the redistricting lines which will come out in January of 2012. I would say that Obama’s chance of reelection looks good.

PD: It appears that Republicans do not have a candidate to field. How far do you agree? 

DR: There are some declared candidates already. Other potentials are testing the waters. It is not an easy decision.
http://www.nepal24hours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4876:as-a-democrat-i-want-to-voice-the-voiceless-&catid=27:politics&Itemid=16
From: 

No comments:

Post a Comment